home :: art heritage :: the see music

art heritage

the see music

The music Chapel is documented since 1611. Four choir chanters formed it at first, up to six afterwards. The chapel master, a See’s beneficiary, who was responsible of the chants and the choir chanters, and also compositor, conducted it. The first in showing the chapel master title was Rev. Jaume Canyelles in 1625.

The oldest score preserved is the Nativity’s Responsory Verbum caro, by the chapel master Josep Masvasí, dated in 1733. The See has an archive containing the main works by the Catalan religious music compositors from the 18th to the 20th century. Because of the existant scores and the documentation it is confirmed the participation of minstrels in liturgical celebrations.