home :: art heritage :: the old choir

art heritage

the old choir

The choir, built since 1394 and lost, occupied the nave area corresponding to the third and fourth ceiling, without reaching the pillars. In that quadrangular area the community practiced the choir chant. Macià Bonafè and Pere Llagostera made the choir ashlars, burned in 1714, between 1430 and 1442.

Alonso de Baena made, in a full Gothic style, the closing stonewall and its ornaments in 1489; it was destroyed in 1936 and it only remains a beautiful collection of sculpted capitals. In 1715 a new choir was build, wood-worked by Josep Sunyer, which disappeared in 1936.