home :: art heritage :: the altarpieces :: sant marc

art heritage

the altarpieces

sant marc

The Sant Marc altarpiece was initially commissioned to the painter Arnau Bassa (1346) by the Shoemakers Corporation in order to place it at the chapel in the Barcelona’s cathedral. When it was substituted, the altarpiece ended in Manresa. Until 1902 it was located at the Sant Marc chapel, at the foot of the Puigcardener hill. It was then when it went up to the See. It presents, in a triptych format, several episodes of the saint life, since his conversion into Christianity until his torment and death. The presence of symbological images referring the Shoemakers Corporation is constant, specially plain in the chasuble of saint Marc, invested bishop by saint Anian.