home :: art heritage :: see history museum

art heritage

see history museum

It is located in a specially fitted out zone above the See main façade. It is accessible from a winding stair next to the baptistery. It was inaugurated in 1934 in order to preserve and exhibit sacral art works, which had been left unused, out of quotidian worship. Between the most important pieces stands out a Romanesque crucifix, carved on polychrome wood, which can be dated towards the 12th century. It is also notable the so called “Florentine frontispiece”, weaved and embroidered in Florence by Geri di Lapo, bought and brought to the See by the wealthy Manresan Ramon Saera in 1357.

And also silver arks, from the 17th century, which contained the relics of the «cossos sants» (saint bodies), the patron saints of the city, made by the Manresan silversmith Antic Lloreda.

There are also Baroque altarpieces fragments from the famous Grau and Sunyer Manresan workshops, a Sant Ponç votive altarpiece (16th century), an image of the Immaculate (17th century) as well as many silver work pieces and liturgical clothing.