home :: news :: 74

digital library


See latest news

The Seu commemorates the 175 years of the proclamation from Father Claret in the Basilica

It will be on the 4th of November 2018

On Sunday, November 4th of 2018, the Seu of Manresa will celebrate the 175 years of St. Anthony Maria Claret's preach in the basilica with a guided tour and a special mass in the temple. In early November 1843 Father Claret came to Manresa to preach during a celebration.
The guided tour will be at 10am and will explain the context of the temple that welcomed the pride of Father Claret with special emphasis on the chapel dedicated to his worship, located in the central nave of the temple.
At 11am Ricard Costa, Provincial of the Claretians, will preside a solemn conventual mass dedicated to Father Claret, who founded his order. The mass will feature the performance of the Music Chapel of the Seu.
To reserve a place for this special visit, which will only be offered on November 4th, you can write an email to gestio@seudemanresa.cat or call 938721512. The price is ? 5/person.

Father Maria Claret
Born in Sallent (Catalonia) in 1807, he was Archbishop of Santiago de Cuba and confessor of Queen Elizabeth II of Spain. He founded the order of the Missionaries Children of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Claretians) and of the Religious of Mary Immaculate Claretian Missionaries. He died in 1870 and in 1950, Bishop Pius XII canonized Saint Antoni Maria Claret.

The chapel of Father Claret in the Seu
The architect Alexandre Soler i March projected the design of the chapel as a whole between 1946 and 1949 and the works were paid by the unions of the industrial and textile arts of the branch of water, which Father Claret worshiped.
The polychrome alabaster sculptures of Saint Antoni M. Claret, Saint Antoni de Pàdua and Saint Pancraç are a work by Josep M. Camps and Arnau. The 4 tables that accompany the sculptural ensemble are by Josep Mestres Cabanes and illustrate various passages of the life of the bishop related to Manresa, the textile industry and the precept and sanctification of human labor.
Previously, the chapel had been dedicated to Saint Bartholomew (1629) and, later, to the Virgin of Good Death (1822).